Friday, February 24, 2012

2005 SP 1 Install Failure Solution - Unable to install Windows Installer MSP file

This is posted for others who have
If this error occurs here is what worked for me. I hope it may work for you
but am not sure.
In my case I had SQL Express 2005 Installer on my system as well as I run
both (one for development, one for production).
Shut down all SQL related services manually.
I set registry permissions on Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer
to include the account that is doing the install with Full Control. Click
Advanced and make sure everything is selected.
I downloaded and ran the SQL Install Cleanup and removed the SQL 2005 Setup
Files Installer and the SQL Express Installer. I then reinstalled the SQL
Setup Files (ONLY!!!!!) from my SQL Server 2005 CD. If you don't don't do
this you won't be able to use the SP.
Q290301 OFFXP: Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q290/3/01.asp
I then reinstalled the SP and it worked.
Hope this helps somebody.
Special thanks to Peter Yang of Microsoft for his invaluable assistance on
this issue.
--
Get a powerful web, database, application, and email hosting with KJM
Solutions
http://www.kjmsolutions.comForgot to mention this is on a Windows Server 2003 SP1 platform.
--
Get a powerful web, database, application, and email hosting with KJM
Solutions
http://www.kjmsolutions.com
"vbnetdev" <vbnetdev@.community.nospam> wrote in message
news:OdGUsVgaGHA.3304@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> This is posted for others who have
> If this error occurs here is what worked for me. I hope it may work for
> you but am not sure.
> In my case I had SQL Express 2005 Installer on my system as well as I run
> both (one for development, one for production).
> Shut down all SQL related services manually.
> I set registry permissions on
> Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer to include the account that
> is doing the install with Full Control. Click Advanced and make sure
> everything is selected.
> I downloaded and ran the SQL Install Cleanup and removed the SQL 2005
> Setup Files Installer and the SQL Express Installer. I then reinstalled
> the SQL Setup Files (ONLY!!!!!) from my SQL Server 2005 CD. If you don't
> don't do this you won't be able to use the SP.
> Q290301 OFFXP: Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q290/3/01.asp
> I then reinstalled the SP and it worked.
> Hope this helps somebody.
> Special thanks to Peter Yang of Microsoft for his invaluable assistance on
> this issue.
> --
> Get a powerful web, database, application, and email hosting with KJM
> Solutions
> http://www.kjmsolutions.com
>
>|||Hi,
Thanks for your feedback. This information has been added to Microsoft's
database. Your solution will benefit many other users, and we really value
having you as a Microsoft customer.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely,
Wei Lu
Microsoft Online Community Support
==================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
==================================================This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
--
>From: "vbnetdev" <vbnetdev@.community.nospam>
>References: <OdGUsVgaGHA.3304@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>
>Subject: Re: 2005 SP 1 Install Failure Solution - Unable to install
Windows Installer MSP file
>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:15:48 -0500
>Lines: 50
>X-Priority: 3
>X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
>X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2869
>X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
>Message-ID: <uQdG71gaGHA.3740@.TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
>NNTP-Posting-Host: 63-252-11-73.ip.mcleodusa.net 63.252.11.73
>Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl
>Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.sqlserver.server:429460
>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.sqlserver.server
>Forgot to mention this is on a Windows Server 2003 SP1 platform.
>--
>Get a powerful web, database, application, and email hosting with KJM
>Solutions
>http://www.kjmsolutions.com
>
>"vbnetdev" <vbnetdev@.community.nospam> wrote in message
>news:OdGUsVgaGHA.3304@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> This is posted for others who have
>> If this error occurs here is what worked for me. I hope it may work for
>> you but am not sure.
>> In my case I had SQL Express 2005 Installer on my system as well as I
run
>> both (one for development, one for production).
>> Shut down all SQL related services manually.
>> I set registry permissions on
>> Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer to include the account
that
>> is doing the install with Full Control. Click Advanced and make sure
>> everything is selected.
>> I downloaded and ran the SQL Install Cleanup and removed the SQL 2005
>> Setup Files Installer and the SQL Express Installer. I then reinstalled
>> the SQL Setup Files (ONLY!!!!!) from my SQL Server 2005 CD. If you don't
>> don't do this you won't be able to use the SP.
>> Q290301 OFFXP: Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q290/3/01.asp
>> I then reinstalled the SP and it worked.
>> Hope this helps somebody.
>> Special thanks to Peter Yang of Microsoft for his invaluable assistance
on
>> this issue.
>> --
>> Get a powerful web, database, application, and email hosting with KJM
>> Solutions
>> http://www.kjmsolutions.com
>>
>>
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment