Friday, February 24, 2012

2005 replication outside my Domain errors


I currently have replication (transactional) set up within my domain successfully using 2000 and 2005.
I need to start replicating to a hosting center for a web app from my server out on the DMZ. I can use SSIS and SMS to connect, update data, etc. but when I try to replicate out there it gives me the following errors:

1. Tells me it needs a named instance so I give it the hosted server name : ABC123

2. Then I get the following:

TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to ABC123.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Failed to connect to server ABC123. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA

Tena

Come on, there has to be someone (please, please) who knows something about this? Ideas, chants, sacrifices of small animals I can make to the SQL Gods? (OK, the last one I would not REALLY do).

TIA

~Tena~

|||Well, the error message basically says that it can't connect. Since you can connect with other methods, that would rule out not having remote connections enabled. So, that means the replication engine simply can not connect to the subscriber. When you set it up, you had to specify account credentials to use to connect. Those are the credentials that you need to check, because they are not authenticating.|||I have exactly the same problem here, but with 2 servers in the same hosting center. tried to do the ftp snapshot but the subscriber is unable to see the distributor. I got the same error message.

did you find an answer?

Share pls.

|||

Make sure you enabled remote connections on sql server 2005 in Surface Area Configuration (SAC) and use port number along with server...some times it can't resolve port number...

ex: servername\instancename,portnumber

Note: If you can't connect by name you can't configure replication with ip address so better alias the server to configure the replication.

No comments:

Post a Comment