Saturday, February 25, 2012

2005 standard edition install problem

I downloaded the 32 bit SQL 2005 Standard Edition software and attempted to
install on my W2003 SP1 Dell server. It meets the minimum hardware
requirements. However, when it gets to the screen for the component choices
,
all I see are the two workstation options and can't select the database
engine, analysis services, reporting services etc. Is it possible I
downloaded a "client tools only" version?
Later I dug around in the folder structure of this download and found the
'mlf_files' folder. I played around with this and extracted files from the
'SW CD SQL Svr Standard Edtn 2005 W32 English #1 32 bit MLF.exe' file. This
version lets me install all the server components but fails on the
workstation stuff. I am able to use the original download setup to finish
the workstation components but this doesn't seem like the proper way to do
this. I had been installing the 'Developer Edition' with no problems but we
will need to install Standard Edition on our production boxes. Anyone know
what's going on here?It sounds somewhat like you downloaded the CD downloads, ran
the setup from CD 2 - the tools CD. There is no client only
download. What you describe would happen if you just ran the
setup.exe from CD 2. It doesn't sound like an issue with the
install and more likely an issue with what format you
downloaded or how you burned or busted the iso images.
-Sue
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:49:32 -0800, Dlorbecki
<Dlorbecki@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I downloaded the 32 bit SQL 2005 Standard Edition software and attempted to
>install on my W2003 SP1 Dell server. It meets the minimum hardware
>requirements. However, when it gets to the screen for the component choice
s,
>all I see are the two workstation options and can't select the database
>engine, analysis services, reporting services etc. Is it possible I
>downloaded a "client tools only" version?
>Later I dug around in the folder structure of this download and found the
>'mlf_files' folder. I played around with this and extracted files from the
>'SW CD SQL Svr Standard Edtn 2005 W32 English #1 32 bit MLF.exe' file. Thi
s
>version lets me install all the server components but fails on the
>workstation stuff. I am able to use the original download setup to finish
>the workstation components but this doesn't seem like the proper way to do
>this. I had been installing the 'Developer Edition' with no problems but w
e
>will need to install Standard Edition on our production boxes. Anyone know
>what's going on here?|||Thanks for the response! This must be different than how the developer
edition works. There I run one setup.exe and have the option of installing
everything, including workstation components. In standard, I hear you sayin
g
that it is divided into 2 CD's with 2 different setup.exe's, one for server
and one for client tools and that I must have been running the CD 2
setup.exe. Ok. I will now try to get both CD's and try this again. Thanks
again.
"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:

> It sounds somewhat like you downloaded the CD downloads, ran
> the setup from CD 2 - the tools CD. There is no client only
> download. What you describe would happen if you just ran the
> setup.exe from CD 2. It doesn't sound like an issue with the
> install and more likely an issue with what format you
> downloaded or how you burned or busted the iso images.
> -Sue
> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 07:49:32 -0800, Dlorbecki
> <Dlorbecki@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>|||If you use the CDs, CD1 will have the option to install
everything...then later you get prompted to insert the other
CD, etc. If you just run the setup for CD 2, you will just
get the options for the Tools.
There are 2 CDs. If you get the DVD, it's just one
installation media.
-Sue
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 05:41:39 -0800, Dlorbecki
<Dlorbecki@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
>Thanks for the response! This must be different than how the developer
>edition works. There I run one setup.exe and have the option of installing
>everything, including workstation components. In standard, I hear you sayi
ng
>that it is divided into 2 CD's with 2 different setup.exe's, one for server
>and one for client tools and that I must have been running the CD 2
>setup.exe. Ok. I will now try to get both CD's and try this again. Thank
s
>again.
>"Sue Hoegemeier" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment